Tales of the Journey
On this page are narratives or "tales" about things we have experienced during our journey towards the wedding ceremony.
We feel that these stories help reflect some of the goodness we have encountered recently.
January 20th, 2005 - We were clothes shopping for Naomi in New Hope, PA at the House of India shop last weekend. As she tried on various items in the dressing room, I had a conversation with a man waiting for his wife, who was also trying on clothes. During the conversation, we talked about the upcoming wedding, and that we were using an iPod for the music. As a result, this kind gentleman today sent us a list of 34 songs that he felt would be appropriate for our Wedding PlayList...All we can say is: THANK YOU!!! What a Wonderful gift of love and time!!!
Below is the text of the email...
I am the tall guy who chatted with Eric at the Indian clothing store in New Hope on Saturday while Naomi and my wife (Amy) were trying on clothes.
In any event, here are some song suggestions. Sorry to give you so many, but it's a topic I think about often. Also, I suspect that Amy and I might
be 10 or so years older than you two, so some of these songs might not appeal to you due to "generational" issues.
- Samba Saravah - Pierre Barouh (this is a French song with a gentle bossa nova beat -- I can make a copy for you if you like. It begins "Etre heureux, c'est plus ou moins ce qu'on cherche" -- "To be happy is more or less what one searches for")
- Corcovado - Astrud Gilberto ("This is where I want to be/ Here with you, so tenderly/ Until the final flicker of life's embers")
- A Long Time Ago - Jim Croce (a sweet tale of the purity of young love)
- Give Yourself to Love - Kate Wolf (a classic "wedding song")
- Five Days in May - Blue Rodeo (this one is about the surprise and joy the singer feels when his love works out well after all)
- Love at the Five & Dime - Nanci Griffith ("Johnny was a sweet romancer, and a darn good dancer/ They waltzed the aisles at the five and dime")
- You're My Home - Billy Joel (I love the central metaphor)
- At Last - Etta James
- The Way You Look Tonight - Tony Bennett (much better in my view than the Frank Sinatra version)
- What a Wonderful World - Eva Cassidy
- You are the Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder
- Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel - Tavares
- Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lynn (I love the surge at the beginning -- it reminds me of the jolt I get when I see Amy)
- You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
- Warm Love - Joan Armatrading
- Something So Right - Paul Simon
- We Walk the Same Line - Everything But The Girl ("If you lose your faith, babe/ You can have mine/ Cause we walk the same line")
- Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley
- Too Late to Turn Back Now - Brothers Cornelius and Sister Rose
- Knocks Me Off My Feet - Stevie Wonder
- My Baby Just Cares for Me - Nina Simone
- Julie - Fountains of Wayne (As I think about the drag of making my way through another day at work, I think about this song and, more importantly, seeing Amy at the end of the day)
- I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince
- Best of My Love - The Emotions
- Strawberry Letter #23 - Brothers Johnson
- This Must Be the Place (Native Melody) - Shawn Colvin (this is the Talking Heads song about meeting someone who "has a face with a view")
- God Only Knows- The Beach Boys (I maintain that this is a deeply spiritual song about enduring love)
- Eggplant - Michael Franks (a playful song, full of innuendo)
- Could It Be Im Falling in Love? - The Spinners
- You Ought to be with Me - Al Green
- Fell in Love with a Boy - Joss Stone
- Tell Everybody I Know - Keb Mo
- Back at One - Brian McKnight
- Mr. Harris - Aimee Mann (an amazing song about enduring love -- "And honestly, I might be stupid to think love is love, but I do/ And you waited so long and I waited long enough/ For you")
As of Sunday, December 16th, 2018 at 5:02 PM, we have beenThis page has been viewed 4684 times.
happily married for 13 years, 42 weeks, 0 days, 10 hours and 31 minutes!